What's New

Always looking for freelance / contract work. Let me hear from you.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Writer’s Block? Patooey!

Writer’s block is the bane of scribes everywhere. Clever, insidious and destructive, it saps us of creativity, industriousness and time.

Well, I don’t believe in writer’s block. I'm sure many writers will disagree with me and consider it blasphemy, but I believe writer's block is a sham. There, I said it.

Let’s be honest. A more apt description for writer’s block is procrastination, aversion or laziness (I can personally attest to employing all three). Simply put, it’s an excuse to not put in the effort. Yes, we are creative. Yes, our profession requires more brains than brawn. Yes, yes, we all have special talents. And, no, writing isn’t easy. It takes dedication, resolve and a certain gift. But, unless you’re writing for yourself and strictly for fun, it is a profession, a career, a business, In other words, show me the money. And even if you are writing for yourself, "writer’s block" is the perfect bulletproof method to slip that poem, short story, essay, script or whatever into a drawer so you can "get back to it later."

Bottom line: We have assignments, projects, jobs -- and deadlines. Don’t rely on the crutch of writer’s block. Don’t sit around waiting for your muse to mystically ordain the computer screen. Per my previous post (Inspiration), writing = ass in chair. It’s as simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me here from ya. Leave a comment.